Home blood sugar monitoring is an important part in modern day diabetes management. It will help you to share your blood sugar readings with your doctor. This will help your doctor to change or adjust your diabetic treatment plan. A glucometer is a small device, which will help you to get your blood sugar readings from your home itself. The procedure is very simple and anyone can do it by self. Accu Chek Active is a leading glucometer across the globe. Manufactured by Roche Diagnostics, it keeps all the international standards and gives you accurate readings. We will explain you how to use Accu Chek Active glucometer correctly to test your blood sugar from home.
pict attributed by pixabay.com
What all things are required for testing your blood sugar from home?
Before testing with Accu Chek Active glucometer, you need to keep the following things ready with you.
- Accu Chek Active Glucometer
- Accu Chek Active Strips: This is where we apply the blood and it is for one time use. After the test, you need to dispose the strip.
- Accu Chek Softclix lancing device & Lancet: You will get both these during the initial purchase of Accu Chek Active glucometer. Lancet is a small needle and you have to insert the lancet into the lancing device. Lancing device helps you to take blood from your finger tip easily without any pain.
How to do the testing?
- You will get a black code chip inside your strip box. Before using first time, you have to insert this black code chip into your Accu Chek Active glucometer. Now you can keep this code chip permanently inside the glucometer.
- Prepare your lancing device by inserting the lancet into the device.
- Take one Accu Chek Active strip from the box and close the box immediately. Insert this test strip in to the glucometer and glucometer will get switch on. Now glucometer will display a drop symbol and it is the time for applying the blood.
- Take the lancet and prick your fingertip by pressing the yellow button on the lancing device. A small drop of blood will appear on your finger tip. If the blood drop is not visible, gently press the surroundings of your fingertip, so that more blood will appear on the fingertip.
- Now carefully apply the blood on the middle of the strip. There is a green color space on the middle of the strip. You have to apply the blood exactly on this green portion. Don’t pull back your finger quickly. Once enough blood is absorbed, glucometer will start count down from 5. At this instance, you can pull back your finger tip.
- After count down, glucometer will show your blood sugar reading. To switch off the machine, simply remove the strip.
What to do after testing?
After testing, you can remove the lancet from the lancing device. Dispose both lancet & strip carefully beyond the reach of kids. Wash your hands with soap. Keep all the accessories inside the box and keep it safe on your cupboard.